Sunday, April 27, 2008

Foothills

Finally the weather cooperated and let us do something outside as a family. In the seven years I have lived here, I have never been on a hike in the foothills. It was so beautiful and so fun.


On our hike through the foothills Dan and I were wondering out loud why we had never taken the family to do this before now. We then remembered that for most of Zach's life, he was too sick to make a hike like this. It has been exactly one year since Zach underwent his last surgery and has been free from his battle with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. He never would have made it as far as we did yesterday, a total of almost four miles. (Grandpa Dinger would have loved it!) Maddie didn't want to stop, so after our short picnic she and her Dad went up a little further for a better view of the city. The boys and I stayed behind and went looking for animal holes.
The way down was a little harder because the kids were so tired, but Zach serenaded us with his favorite song, "A Hunting We Will Go." The cutest lyrics went like this: "OOOHHH a hunting we will go! A hunting we will go! We'll catch a bear and put him in underwear, and then we'll let him go!!" Zach sang that at the top of his lungs. It was very funny.
As you can see, the scenery was absolutely beautiful, oh and the foothills were nice too. (Ha! Ha!) We had so much fun and are looking forward to doing it more often, if only mother nature would decide to just let it be spring!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Maddie's hat and glasses.

SD and EJ said...

Grandpa Dinger would love it! And Maddie could so be on America's Next Top Model (if she didn't have any morals, of course).

shh said...

Looks like a fun hike and a great time to do it before it is too hot and dry. And as I have said before...don't I have cute grandkids!!!! And you are right, the scenery is beautiful!

jessica said...

I've never been up there in my life...maybe we need to give it a try.

Katherine said...

So Cute! When I think about what I have been doing over the last couple years, I think why didn't i do something...then I think. Oh yah, Isaac cried every minute of his life! :) I am so glad that Zach is feeling better. Maddie looks so cute in her hat, glasses and long skinny legs! Miss You.

Melanie said...

Okay, so I didn't know that Zach was diagnosed with cyclical vomiting syndrome -- I would love to chat with you sometime about it! My neighbor's little girl just was diagnosed with the same, and Quinn seems to have something similar, although not as severe as Zachary. Did the surgery completely cure him?

Melanie said...

I saw that you put Brooke White on your playlist. Woo hoo!

Michelle said...

Looks like so much fun!! We have never done that either, you will have to take us next time! We had a great time with you guys last night. Mark thinks you guys are awesome, so I guess that gives us the green light to hand out more often! ;)

Andrea said...

We have never done that, I will have to find out more about from you. It looks like a great time. Cute kids!