Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pulled Over

I was pulled over yesterday!! I am having the missionaries over for dinner today, so last night after we put the kids to bed I decided to go the the grocery store to pick up a few last minute items. On my way to Winco, I looked over to my right and saw a police car with his lights on ticketing someone. I checked my speed and was proud to say I was going ten under so I thought I had nothing to worry about. Twenty seconds later I look behind me to see the officer right behind me with his lights on. Not knowing it was for me, I politely pulled over to let him get by, only to realize he was pulling me over. I was completely confused. I was in Dan's car, so had no idea where things were, so I started going though the glove box. When the officer came up to the car I said, "Officer, without you getting mad at my stupidity, what did I do??" He did not look pleased and told me that it was common courtesy, but also the law, that when an officer has pulled someone over the other drivers on the road are to switch over to the next lane and slow down. I had done none of those things. I was guilty, simply because I did not know that law and apologized profusely. He also told me that my tail light was out, and my brights were flickering when I drove. The worst of it all, the officer had to show me what my registration looked like by going through Dan's pile of junk in the glove box. I was also apparently sitting on the new insurance card (which I later found) and had to give the officer the one that was three days expired. What Luck!!!! Surprisingly I was not crying, and I was quite candid with the police officer. I'm not sure that he liked that very much, but I was just given a warning, and some "educating on the law." Dan claims it was my good looks that got me off, but I'm not so sure I have any. I am sure the police officer drove away thinking I was one more ditsy freak with a driver's license, but Dan's been living with this ditsy freak for over ten years now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To set the record straight, there is no "Dan's pile of junk in the glove box." The glove box is neat and orderly.

Kim said...

So sorry, but I can't help but laugh, I was pulled over about 2 years ago with Madie in the car and she still remembers, and whenever we talk about police and getting pulled over Madie says "mom remember that time..." of all the things for her to remember at least you got off with a warning I am never that lucky.