Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mom, I Think I Need To Say a Bad Word!!


Maddie is having an MRI tomorrow morning. Nothing serious at all, Maddie just has spastic movements in her body that cause her to rock. Her doctor just wants to see if there is an explanation for it. . .probably not. . .but an MRI might catch something that we can't see otherwise. I have been waiting as long as possible to tell Maddie because even the sight of blood makes her cry. Today during lunch I tried to ease into the conversation as if it was small talk . . .it didn't work. In fact she was in tears for probably and hour, and is sure that the I.V. they use to help her sleep during the MRI will hurt. Through tears she says, "Mom, I hate MRI's, they are not fun, they are dumb, and Mom, I think I need to say a bad word!" Knowing exactly which bad word she was thinking I said to her, "Maddie, I think that word is probably appropriate at this time, go ahead and say it." Maddie yelled "and MRI's are STUPID!" I actually think it made her feel better. After the hour of tears Maddie came up with a great solution, "Mom, I'm going to pretend that I don't have to have an MRI tomorrow so I wont worry about it for the rest of the day." Poor kid, seriously how many eight year olds have ever had an MRI?? It wouldn't be a normal year for the Dinger's without at least one trip to the hospital. 2009 didn't disappoint.

9 comments:

SD and EJ said...

That is so sad and so cute at the same time. Poor little kid!

Kim said...

What brave kiddos you have. I wish my kids thought that stupid was a bad word. I really hope the MRI goes well, well Madie I think she is awesome.

Yanira said...

Tell Maddie we are thinking about her and that we think she is the bravest little girl in the world!!!

Michelle said...

Oh poor thing! Rex had an MRI but he was already out of it after his seizure so he had no idea what was going on. Good luck and I hope you guys get some answers. I can't wait to hang out, hopefully it's Thursday because Mark just informed me he has to work late on Wednesday.

Whitney & Charlie said...

I need to learn from Maddie's example to quit using that bad word! I say it quite a lot. Good luck with everything. You're awesome Maddie!

Ryan and Angela said...

Oh, Maddie is so sweet. I agree with her. MRI's are STUPID. And someone as precious as she is shouldn't have to have one. But at least you can know if she is okay.

jessica said...

Hope it all goes okay today. It must be tough to watch her be so nervous.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had read this last night (it's Monday afternoon right now.) I had to have an MRI this summer and I know how she feels. They are kind of scary.

Andrea said...

How did it go?? She is such a sweetie, hopefully you will find some answers. You are a great mom!!