Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Reality Check


I volunteer at the kids school every other Tuesday. Zach was excited when he found out that I was coming today to help his teacher; he even talked about it with me a lot over the weekend. I walked into the classroom expecting to be greeted by an ecstatic son, but was surprised to get the cold shoulder. He pretended not to see me. As his teacher was busy getting work for me to do I went up to Zach and tried to give him a hug and say, "Hi." He wanted nothing of it and struggled to get away from me. I then noticed him looking around the classroom to make sure his buddies didn't see. I thought it was hilarious. Zach's teacher gave me a pile of books to make copies from, and as I walked past Zach I ruffled his hair with my fingers. He whispered as quietly, but as angrily as he could, "Mom! Knock it off. I don't want the boys to see!" As funny as it was, I was a little depressed that my son was too cool to show his doting mother any affection. Dan's mom tells a similar story about their son James, which is quite funny, but I never thought it would happen to me. At least James was a little older--Zach is only in kindergarten!!! As I left the school, Zach's friends gave me high-fives and I got a begrudging high-five from Zachary. He is a little stinker!!I know Halloween is over a month away, but these pictures are just way too cute. We have a second-hand children's store a few miles away and I love to shop for my kid's Halloween costumes there. I can't believe how cheap their costumes are. I went to the Disney store to see what they had, and was in shock to see that every princess dress was priced at $30.00 or more. The stuff for boys was equally expensive. I paid under $20.00 for three cute costumes at this store. Maddie wants to be Mulan, Zachary is always content with superhero attire, and Jackers. . . well, lets just say that his personality fit this costume. He was adamant that his costume be scary, spooky, and monstery. I was trying to get him to try a Donald Duck costume or a Spiderman costume so he could be twins with his brother, but he was so excited about this costume, and the price was amazing, and once he had it on it just seemed a perfect match!

Maddie looks cute in anything, and when we get makeup on her and fix her hair up, you will think she is the real Mulan. She told me that she is going to ask her Dad to teach her Chinese so people think she is really Mulan. She might have us fooled by Halloween!! Hooray for bargains!

7 comments:

SD and EJ said...

That story about Zach is hilarious! And I love his Spiderman costume. And Maddie's hair is the cutest I have ever seen on a little girl. I wish my hair could look that cute!

Chanell said...

Your kids are so cute- I love Jack's costume...that's scary. You'll have to tell me where that store is- Annie has requested a pink scary monster costume.

Kim said...

Super cute costumes and what a funny story, too cool for mom, It's good he has buddies, but it does hurt the feelings a little, at least you know that he really does luv ya.

Melanie said...

Bef stole my comment... Maddie's hair is so super cute!

Michelle said...

That is hilarious that Zack didn't want to be embarrassed in front of his buddies! In Kindergarten? They grow up so fast...
Rex can be twins with Zach because he has the Spiderman costume, except I got it at Costco so I am sure I spent MUCH more than you did. Darnet! I am sure he will be jealous of Jack's costume, he loves scary things. They need to play soon, Rex talks about him daily.

jessica said...

I went to Other Mother's too and didn't have much luck. I need to come up with 2 cowboy costumes...any suggestions, you're creative like that!

Andrea said...

Such cute costumes and for such a great deal. Zach is lucky to have such a "cool" mom.