Monday, March 1, 2010

My Little Einstein


Okay, okay, I know I sound like every other parent when I say that my kid is a genius, but how many kids do you know who take a math workbook to sacrament meeting and work on it quietly for the entire hour. And. . .yes. . .every answer was correct!! Zach has become addicted to math, he sits at the kitchen table for hours figuring out math problems. He is even staring multiplication and is only in the first grade!!! He certainly did not get his math skills from his mom and dad!!

Today Zach was busy playing with his Gameboy when Dan started to ask Zach how school was. Without looking up to have a normal conversation with his father, Zach briefly stated that his day was "good." Trying to have a deeper conversation with his son, Dan asked Zach how the "spelling bee" went. Again Zach replied "good" and kept playing his game. Dan had about given up at this point, but tried once again to continue his conversation with Zach. He then asked Zach if he did well in the Spelling Bee, without interrupting his game-play Zach said, "Good, I think I won." and continued to play his Gameboy. I think Dan was a little shocked and wasn't sure if he heard him right. . .next thing I know Dan is calling me on the phone to ask if I knew what really happened at the Spelling Bee. (I was at our weekly Physical Therapy appointment with Maddie) I hadn't heard anything about it and was just as shocked to hear that Zach may really have won the spelling bee. I told Dan to check in Zach's backpack to see if there was a note from Zach's teacher or something and sure enough there was a note from Mrs. Redman claiming that Zach is one of the finalist and will have another spell-off this Wednesday against other students! Dan and I were freaking out!!! (Someone had to!!) The other funny thing was that we forgot about the Spelling Bee until last night and just had Zach glance at the words before bed. Our past few weeks were focused on recovery from his surgery, so we weren't going to worry too much about the Spelling Bee this year. I think Dan and I are still in shock!! Tonight we did have Zach look over the list of words that will be given at the next Spelling Bee and sure enough he is a spelling genius!! He got practically everyone right.
So, yes I may sound like an annoying parent who thinks their kid is the brightest, smartest kid in the whole wide world, but now I have proof!!

4 comments:

SD and EJ said...

What a smarty pants! And personally I think it's sad when parents don't brag about their kids.

Katherine said...

Wahoo! Way to Go zach! I brag about my kids all the time! You should! So Glad he is doing well!

Melanie said...

"Good, I think I won." HILARIOUS!

Dice said...

I think that sometimes us parents stress out about things when we don't need to. Great job Zach! Sounds like you are like me, where'd there genius genes come from? I think it skipped a generation on us....my kids are past me! :) .also, yea workbooks!