Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring Break was a BUST!!!

I knew luck was not on my side my first hour into spring break. I was driving to Salt Lake City, Friday afternoon; I drive about 79-80 mph and stay in or close to the fast lane most of the time. I was approaching a slower car and inched up on it (urging it to move to a slower lane, I wasn't trying to be rude, but I am sure I could have been more considerate). The van moved over and let me pass. As I pass the van I notice the entire family in the car waving at us. I realize it was one of my neighbors driving to Utah as well. I was completely embarrassed!!!

We arrive in Salt Lake that night with no problem. The next day I get the kids dressed and have a big day planned: park, swimming, visit great grandma and cousins, etc.. We get to my old elementary school to play at the new play ground. Maddie decides to try these funky monkey bars that twist, 30 seconds later she is on the ground calling for help. Her arm is twisted and looks mangled! We spend most of the day in Urgent Care and in the emergency room; Maddie broke her arm in two places.

Maddie spent most of spring break on Grandma's couch with her arm propped. The boys were great, but had to spend most of our trip at grandma's while we nursed Maddie back to health; Grandma did take the boys to a "Jungle Jim's" which was a blast. It snowed most of the time so we left a day early to beat a big storm that was expected. On the way home Zach complained of ear pain. I figured it was just pressure in his ears because we were driving through mountains, but the next day he was in constant pain. The pediatrician said both ears were infected, and his ear drum burst at the pharmacy as we waited for his antibiotics to be filled!!

My spring break was a bust!!!!!


For good news. . .
1. We originally thought Maddie would need surgery because they couldn't get the bone to align correctly, but today the X-Rays showed that there was slight improvement, so they think within a few weeks it will correct itself. . .plus she is young and bones tend to heal better at a young age. She got her arm casted today and of course chose hot pink.

2. Our 12 week weight loss competition ended today!!! I will write another update on that tomorrow when I get my family's weight loss numbers. Together Dan and I have lost 55 LB's!!!!!! We look and feel like different people. I can feel bones I didn't even know existed in my own body!! Dan looks like a new person and will have to have everything tailored and taken in! He is super S-E-X-Y!! It will be nice to eat a bit more normally again, however Dan wants to lose 8 more lbs before he is done!!

8 comments:

Kim said...

So sorry about the bad spring break and Maddie's broken arm I guess I shouldn't complain about how boring ours was. I am also super proud of you and your weight loss you both look so good, and I am totally jealous that you look so trim. I need to get to some serious work myself. I'm sure you're glad to get back to a regular schedule. We need to plan a girls night out soon, just not this weekend I'll be gone.

Michelle said...

Ok, so tell me more about this Jungle Jim's place, that looks AWESOME! My boys would LOVE it. So sad about Maddie but happy no surgery. I love that you were tailgating the Fitzgeralds!!!!!

Alene said...

Your wallpaper/background is so cute!! It makes me want to make a quilt.

Matt said...

I'm really surprised that an Idaho driver was going under the speed limit in the fast lane.

Are you going to post pics of skinnier Dan?

I'm on the hand-to-mouth diet. I figure if I eat more, then my right hand will be getting more exercise lifting food to my mouth. I'll let you know how it works.

Bell Blog said...

I am so sorry about your crappy vacation! I am glad that Maddie won't have to have surgery! Utah still looked fun...

Ryan and Angela said...

When you shared this in church, I leaned over to Ryan and said, "I am glad my spring break didn't turn out like that." I too, took the kids on a road trip by myself. But it was a much better experience.

Andrea said...

Poor Maddie and Zach, I hope they are feeling much better. At least you were able to have a little bit of fun, but I hear you, bad weather, traveling alone... fun questionable :)Jungle Jim's looks fun though I will have to check that out next time.

Kristine said...

How sad for your kids!! :( Glad things turned out ok for Maddie and I hope Zach is feeling better now. You and Dan are to be congratulated for your weight loss! IMO there is nothing harder than taking off those unwanted pounds, except for keeping it off. :) So, do you actually live in Meridian? I don't know how big that place is, but we have friends who moved out there a year ago last January. Does the last name "Short" ring a bell?