Monday, February 9, 2009

Repelicans vs. Democraps

Maddie's third grade class watched the inauguration of our new president a few weeks ago. Over the past few months they have discussed both political parties and even voted in November as a class. According to Maddie's class it was Obama-2 McCain-19. To my surprise Maddie was one of the two in her class to vote Obama. From the beginning of our marriage Dan and I decided to not bias our children with our political views. We are very careful when we discuss politics, and hope that when our children decide to pick a party it will be of their own choosing. (Of course Dan is hoping they swing right, and I am hoping they swing just a bit more left)

Maddie and I had a funny discussion last night, here is the condensed version:

Maddie: "Mom, why does Dad like Ronald Regan so much?"

Me: "Because Dad likes the way Regan ran our country."

Maddie: "Is Regan a Democrap or a Re-pelican?"

Me: "You mean a Democrat or a Republican?"

Maddie: "No, I mean a Demorcrap or a Re-pelican."

Me: "Well, I guess that would make Regan a Re-pelican just like Dad."

Maddie: "So are you a Democrap then?"

Me: "Yes, I am a Democrat."

Maddie: "You mean a Democrap?"

Me: "Yes, can we read Junie B. now?"

Maddie: "Mom, what is the difference?"

Me: "Are we talking Junie B?"

Maddie: "NO MOM! We are taking DEMOCRAPS and RE-PELICANS!!!"

Me: "Well, it would take all night, but to give you a simple example, right now Obama wants to use a lot of money to help people all over the United States, most Republicans think he is spending way too much money and would like to not spend so much."

Maddie: "Oh, well that makes sense because Dad is always telling me to save my money for Disneyland, so he must be a Repelican. And there is always a man standing by Walmart asking for money and you never give him any. . .does that make you a Re-pelican too?"

Me: "No, that makes me cheap."

Maddie: "Well, you must be a democrap because you always spend money at Walmart on groceries. . . I don't know which party I am because Democrap has a bad word in it, and I didn't vote for John McCain, so maybe I am not a Re-pelican either."

So, there you have it. I have the cutest daughter in the entire universe.

7 comments:

Yanira said...

That is the funniest conversation ever!! Thanks for sharing it. Maddie is too cute!!

Michelle said...

Awesome! I love the things that come out of her mouth! I gave a dollar to a man standing on the corner the other day and Rex was so happy about it. He said if everyone gave the man money he wouldn't need anymore money. If only life were that simple. Rex must be a Democrap!

SD and EJ said...

I would say democrap is a perfect description of democrats. (Just kidding, just kidding; I like many people who are democrats). Maddie is pretty darn cute and super smart too!

Jami said...

So sweet!!! She sounds like such a doll!

Andrea said...

That is very cute. She is a very smart girl. I love all those tough questions, at least we are happy they are intuitive right? I just found out how much I owe the IRS so I am thinking Democrap sounds pretty good :)

aubrey said...

I am so excited that you have a blog, I love blogs!

I just read this post to my mom and we were laughing so hard, how cute!

Anonymous said...

Paige!
It's Alison Hayes! How are you? I found your blog from Becky Callister Moss' blog! It is so fun to catch up with old highschool friends. I am in the dark ages with no blog or facebook myself, but wanted to say hi and tell ya that you have a beautiful family there!!! Email me if you find time!

thecarvalho3@hotmail.com
Take care!
Alison