Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Lesson in Fasting

As most of you know Maddie is having surgery May 17th. It is a really big deal because she will be in a wheel chair for 3 months! Today we told Maddie that all of her relatives (on both sides) were fasting for her. She was totally shocked and honored to have so many people care about her. We asked Maddie if she wanted to be a part of the family fast and she loved the idea. Zach wanted in too. When we got home from church we told Maddie to go upstairs and break her fast so we could eat dinner. Five minutes later Maddie came down stairs with tears streaming down her cheeks. She admitted that she really was scared for the surgery, and that fasting made her feel something good but scared inside. A few hours later when Maddie and I were alone, she expressed deep concern for her surgery. I asked her how she felt as she was praying to end her fast. She expressed that as she was telling Heavenly Father how scared she was she got a really funny feeling in her heart that felt really good, but still scared her. We had a special moment today when I got to share my testimony with Maddie about the great power of her fast. I could tell that she was beginning to understand Heavenly Father's love for her and that he would watch our for her during this scary time. Her faith made me feel better about the surgery too. It is moments like these where I know my daughter is growing up to be a righteous young lady who is such an example to me.

7 comments:

Kim said...

That is so neat, I got teary just reading about it. I had no idea that she was having surgery, what a brave girl I am so impressed with her and I hope all goes well.

EJ said...

We love Maddie! I obviously couldn't fast, but EJ did. And every night before she goes to bed, Ash prays (well, okay I say the prayer for her, but it's her prayer) that Maddie's surgery will go well and that it will be worth it. And it will be worth it!

jessica said...

What an amazing girl!

Whitney & Charlie said...

We love you Maddie and we're all here for you!

Kris said...

I got teary...that's really touching Paige. She's in our thoughts and prayers, as well as the rest of you that will be caring for her. I wish I lived closer so I could help out in some way. Love to you all.

marcalicious said...

what a great story! the gospel is great! and many blessings to ya'all with the surgery.

Dice said...

I think sometimes these are the reasons we have difficulties to overcome...poor Maddie get's to learn it a little sooner than most of us!