Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yeah Me! I'm 33!

My birthday is awesome. How many people can say they were born on the last day of the year? Everyone around the world in some form or another celebrates my day (whether they know it or not). Many get drunk, set off fire crackers or stay up way past their bed time. As a child I thought Christmas was awesome, but always felt bad for other kids because they didn't get to open more presents a week later like me. I have never had to go to school on my birthday, and most of the time Dan has not had to work on my birthday. Some may think that Christmas over shadows my birthday but I don't see it that way. . .and to top it off I usually have a guilt free helping of an extra piece of birthday cake knowing that my diet will start the day after my birthday.
(I didn't want the traditional birthday cake this year. . . this Butterfinger trifle was delicious!)


So, to all of those who celebrated my birthday with or without me. . .Thanks!! 33 doesn't seem all that old, in fact I am healthier and happier (and lighter) than I have been in a long, long time!!

Other important things that have happened December 31st (besides me)

1997
Microsoft buys Hotmail E-mail service

(and to think, I thought the Internet was just a fad)


1997
South African and U.S. surgeons separate Zambian Siamese twins joined at the head

(I remember that!)


1991
U.S.S.R., last day of existence


1981
CNN Headline News debuts

1977
Ted Bundy escapes from jail in Colorado

(I've always been fascinated by him)


1966
Monkee's "I'm a Believer" hits #1 and stays there for 7 weeks

(My husband loves them. I loved their TV show when I was a kid)


1946
President Truman officially proclaims end of WW II

(my favorite part of American history!!)

1907
For 1st time a ball drops at Times Square to signal new year
(Gotta love Dick Clark!)


1890
Ellis Island, in New York City, opens as a U.S. immigration depot
(I love NYC!!)

6 comments:

SD and EJ said...

You do have a cool birthday! And luckily, New Years is not a very cool holiday anyway, so I would way rather celebrate your birthday. And that cake looks delish. I'm glad you had such a good birthday. :)

Melanie said...

Happy birthday, Paige!

So... how exactly do you make Butterfinger trifle? Yum! Our diet doesn't start until after the national championship game, so that still gives me a day. :)

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! Cool trifle! I love the Monkee's as well and had all their records (passed down from my mom of course) when I was a kid.

Kim said...

That trifle does look delicious. I'm glad you had a great b-day.

Alene said...

So put the recipe for the trifle on your blog!

Andrea said...

I enjoyed all of the history bits, I agree with you, the last day of the year is pretty cool. Happy B-day!