Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Value of Service

Today I took my children to Grace Assisted Living. We have become very close with the residents there and they look forward to us coming. I had a permanent lump in my throat all afternoon as I watched my kids interact with all of the amazing people who live there. Zach is full of hugs no matter who the person is. Jackson is my entertainer and "boogied" upon request, and Maddie is all smiles, and easily chit-chats with everyone. We passed out crossword puzzles (large print, of course) and Sudoku booklets to any resident who came buy and offered them cookies and lemonade. After 10 minutes we had over half of the residents sitting around the tables chatting about the "good old days." My kids were fascinated! It was a great summer activity that got my kids out of the house away from TV and video games! Teaching my kids the value of service ROCKS!!

2 comments:

meg said said...

You are the best! I'm super impressed. What a fun thing for you and the kids -- and more importantly the residents who got visitors!!! Love you.

Whitney & Charlie said...

How neat! Your kids are great. How is Maddie doing, the cast is off now right?!